Jurors will review all images submitted with the applications and select artwork based upon the quality of the artwork in the images. The juror reserves the right to disqualify pieces upon receipt that do not reflect the quality of the work portrayed in photographs or digital images. Names of the artists are not revealed to the Jurors until after the art pieces have been selected for awards.
SUBMISSION OF ARTWORK
If selected to participate in the show, artwork MUST be completed and delivered or mailed to the Sealaska Heritage office by March 1, 2018. Late submissions will not be accepted.
The Awards are determined once the artwork is received at Sealaska Heritage. Prizes are awarded for each Best of Category. The Category winners compete for the Best of Division prize. The Division winners compete for the Best of Show prize. The Best of Formline prize is awarded to the best formline design among all pieces submitted. There is no guarantee that a prize will be awarded for every category. A category prize may only be awarded if the level of technique and artistry is considered at a level that is worthy of an award.
1. Pieces smaller than 5’ in any direction and less than 30 lbs are eligible for consideration. Due to logistical limitations in regard to shipping and our exhibit space SHI reserves the right to assess, on a case by case basis, the inclusion of any larger and/or heavier pieces.
2. Any work entered into the competition and show must have been completed within the past two years, and not have been entered into a previous Juried Art Show and Competition.
3. Artists are limited to submitting no more than three pieces for consideration.
4. Each entry must be designated to one of the categories listed below:
CARVING & SCULPTURE DIVISION
• Wood (Masks, Rattles, hooks etc.)
• Metal (Jewelry, cast metals, etc.)
• Other (Sculptural creations in other media, e.g. glass, ceramics, mixed)
2D & RELIEF CARVING DIVISION
• Painting/drawing (e.g. on paper/canvas, drums, paddles, chests, etc.)
• Relief-Carving (Painted or unpainted on e.g. paddles, chests, etc.)
• Skin & Fur
• Button blankets, Vests, etc.
• Raven’s Tail
• Basketry (Baskets, Hats, etc.)
ENDANGERED ART DIVISION
• Spruce Root (Basketry, Hats, etc.)
• Mountain Goat Horn Spoons
5. Commercially reproduced artwork is prohibited even if the artist produced the original.
6. Prints and bronze sculptures are allowed but must be hand pulled, carved or fabricated and limited to an edition of 100 copies, signed and numbered.
7. Submissions of pieces not owned by the artist must be accompanied by a letter from the owner indicating that the artwork may be entered for the duration of the Juried Art Show.
8. All artwork must be “Display Ready”. Example: blankets must have attached sleeve so it can be hung from rod, and panels must have a secure hanging device attached to the back. Artists requiring mannequins are strongly encouraged to bring their own if their work is selected for the show. “SHI reserves the right to adjust, fortify, or create hanging/mounting devices as needed for install/display purposes.”
9. Because of the provisions of the Endangered Species Act, it is the responsibility of the artist to ensure any use of parts from an endangered species are explicitly allowed by law.
Each piece that is selected must have an identification label, including the name of the artist, name of the artwork and date of production. Artwork without a label will be returned to the artist at his/her own expense. SHI is not responsible if labels become separated from the artwork.
1. Sealaska Heritage Institute shall be solely responsible for the display of entries that are accepted to be a part of the show.
2. Although SHI will exercise care in handling the artwork, we are not responsible for the loss or damage of work.
3. All work displayed shall identify the name of artist, tribal affiliation, medium, category and title of the piece.
4. Artwork cannot be removed until the closing of the show, September 30, 2018.
SHIPPING & HANDLING:
1. Accepted participants will be notified of object delivery date requirements with acceptance notification.
2. Artwork accepted for the show, if shipped, must be sent to SHI prepaid.
3. All pieces must be packaged individually. Do not combine shipping of multiple pieces.
4. Attention applicants from foreign countries: Please make sure all pieces are sent in a timely manner due to customs delays.
5. Attention selected applicants from Canada: Please fill out an E15 form: Certificate of Destruction/Exportation found on the Canada Border Services Agency website prior to sending SHI your artwork. This is a temporary export for items leaving Canada and makes the return of artwork soother.
6. The shipping address for receiving items accepted to the show is:
Sealaska Heritage Institute
ATTN: Juried Art Show
105 South Seward Street, Suite 201
Juneau, AK 99801
SALE OF ARTWORK:
1. All work selected for the show may be sold during the show (on consignment)
2. SHI takes a 20% commission off sales. Artists will be paid as soon as payments are processed.
3. Purchasers sign a Gallery Purchase agreement where they agree to let the piece remain in the exhibit and are assured that the piece will be mailed to them once the exhibit is uninstalled.
1. Artists misrepresenting themselves or their art will be disqualified from the show.
2. SHI staff and sponsors cannot accept gifts from artists. Gifts can be donated to Sealaska Heritage Institute.
3. SHI will not be responsible for artwork or materials used in the displaying of artwork. Artists should secure appropriate coverage to protect their work if deemed necessary.
4. Artists are required to complete the Juried Art Show and Competition application form. You may provide a photo of yourself. If you are selected to be in the show, the bio, photo, and images of artwork will be used for promotional purposes, including the Sealaska Heritage website. www.sealaskaheritage.org
January 15: APPLICATION DEADLINE
February 1: Art Selected for Show, notifications out
March 1: Art due at SHI
May 15: Exhibit opens
June 6: Award Ceremony at Walter Soboleff Building
June 6-9: CELEBRATION
September 30: Exhibit Ends
JAS EXHIBIT: May 15 - September 30, 2018