NATIVE FASHION SHOW GUIDELINES AND RULES
Native American, First Nations, Indigenous, and Alaska Native artists and designers ages 18 or older are encouraged to apply. We are looking for high-fashion pieces that display innovative use of traditional styles and materials.
We strongly encourage each designer to provide at least four (4) designs/looks.
• Applicant must be 18 or older
• Applicant must self-identify as Native American, First Nations, Indigenous, or Alaska Native
• Entries must be the exclusive work of the applicant
• All pieces must be wearable objects to be modeled on a runway
• Artist can provide models. If you need SHI to provide one or more models, please indicate this in your application. All models must attend the dress rehearsal. There will likely also be a model training workshop in advance.
• Garments of designers NOT attending the show must be received by May 22, 2018
• Artist must adhere to all state and federal laws regarding sea mammal or feather use.
• Preference will be given to high-fashion/couture pieces that display innovative use of traditional styles and/or materials
A committee will review all images submitted with the applications and select fashion designs based upon the originality and quality of the design. The committee reserves the right to reject pieces upon receipt that do not reflect the quality of the work portrayed in photographs or digital images.
1. Artists are encouraged to submit at least 4 designs/looks.
2. Fabric with commercially-produced Native design may be incorporated into the fashion designs.
3. Because of the provisions of the Endangered Species Act, it is the responsibility of the artist to ensure any use of parts from an endangered species are explicitly allowed by law.
4. Designers must submit an Artist/Designer Statement, Designer Biography including CV/Resume.
5. The Celebration 2018 Artist/Designer Statement should also include information letting the selection committee know if the work has been shown before or if it is a new body of work made just for the event.
Artists should label all their pieces with their names to ensure that all items get returned to the right owner.
SALE OF FASHION DESIGN
Artists may apply to sell any of the work selected for the show through the SHI Retail Store following the show.
If the outfit sells, SHI charges a 20% commission, and the artists gets paid as soon as payments are processed. If the outfit does not sell within 3 months, SHI will return it to the Artist, unless other arrangements are made between SHI and the Artist.
1. Artists are required to complete the standard application form along with an artist biography and artist/designer statement. You may provide a photo of yourself. The bio, photo, and images of designs may be used for promotional purposes, including on the Sealaska Heritage website, www.sealaskaheritage.org.
2. Artists misrepresenting themselves or their fashion will be disqualified from the show.
3. SHI staff and sponsors cannot accept gifts from artists. Gifts can be donated to Sealaska Heritage Institute.
On behalf of Sealaska Heritage Institute, we would like to express our sincere appreciation for your interest and participation in this exciting design event. SHI recognizes your support in helping to encourage and mentor young Native artists as you model excellence and dedication in preserving our proud Native heritage.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
Each field accepts a maximum file size of 10MB.
You can submit a maximum of 20MB (across multiple fields).
File Upload fields accept most file types except: .html, .exe, .dll, .php, .php3 or .phps
NOTE REGARDING SUBMISSION OF THE FORM
We have found that older versions of Firefox are not compatible with this application system. Please use updated web browsers.
When you have completed the form, click the "Submit" button.
You will then see the following message: "Great! Thanks for filling out the application! etc.." You will also receive an email confirmation with a copy of your application.
If you have any questions or application issues, please contact Bobbie at 907-586-9220 or via email at email@example.com.